Monday 8 April 2013

'Peter' stage 1

8" x 8"
oil on board


Ok...back to portraits. I started  'Peter' this morning and have now completed this first stage. I wiped over the canvas with a very thin layer of yellow ochre but instead of my usual burnt sienna and cadmium red, I've used a violet grey for the under drawing as I wanted a cooler base colour to work over. I made the violet grey mix with rose madder, burnt sienna, ultramarine blue and a little titanium white. I took my time with this value stage and worked until I was satisfied I'd captured something of the innate qualities of Peter.  I like to arrive at a stage when I have achieved not only a recognisable appearance but when I feel I can read aspects of character, personality and spirit in the subject I'm painting. 


No comments:

Post a Comment