Sunday, 16 September 2012

Pepper still-life

First stage with artichoke extinguished!
8" x 12"

I started this painting at around 4.45pm this afternoon. I borrowed an artichoke from the kitchen not realising it was part of tonight's dinner! I was happily painting away when I heard an irate voice from the kitchen enquiring very loudly whether anyone had seen the artichoke! I was already losing the light (it's become very overcast this afternoon) and knew I wouldn't have time to finish the painting today, so reluctantly I relinquished the artichoke and replaced it with two lemons. In total I spent about 30 mins on the painting and had just enough time to mark in the lemons before the light failed completely. I'm not sure I'll be able to get back to it until Tuesday as we're hanging the work for the exhibition tomorrow, but as soon as it's finished I'll post it for you. My aim in this particular painting is to produce an outcome in as few brushstrokes as I can manage so that every brushstroke counts. It's a useful exercise to avoid overworking a painting. One thing I've realised this afternoon is that I'll have to organise some proper lighting with daylight bulbs for the winter months or I'll either be painting in the dark or have to stop halfway through the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment