Wednesday 18 June 2014

Movement in line


'In Rehearsal 7'
charcoal on scored paper
50cm x 50cm


The 'In Rehearsal' series came about because of my love of dance. I was lucky enough to be invited to sit in and make drawings at a rehearsal session. As you can imagine the speed at which I had to draw was frantic as the dancers of course were constantly moving! There were very few moments of stasis! I ended up with energetic line drawings of at times, incoherent figures writhing about on my paper surface! Back in the studio I selected the more coherent figures and put together compositions attempting to depict the dancers' exquisite poise and expressive emotion and the wonderful shapes they create with their remarkably supple bodies. This is one in the series, the other I have already posted when it was showing in the exhibition 'Bodylines'.    


No comments:

Post a Comment