Thursday 16 January 2014

Remains of a mosaic

30cm x 40cm
coloured charcoal on scored and cut paper


This piece is now finished. Whilst making it, the subject began to take on a different identity from my original plan for her (Nox, goddess of night). As I worked I came to relate the character to Dido from the story of 'Dido and Aeneas'. This tale can be found in Virgil's 'Aeneid'. Dido, Queen of Carthage, despairs over her love for the Trojan hero, Aeneas, after he abandons her. Not very cheery I know, but full of irresistible drama and passion! The drawing below is the one I have in mind to use for Nox. I'm not a hundred percent sure that this drawing will work as a mosaic piece as there's not alot of tonal contrast present, but at the same time it could be interesting because of that. So...there's only one way to find out...an that's to cut it up and see!! 





No comments:

Post a Comment