Tuesday 28 August 2012

Back from Spain!

Pics from Spain

It's good to be back blogging...I've missed you all! It was a great trip and as promised I've brought back some pics to show you. These photos are from one of the processions during fiesta week in Castello de Rugat. This is the traditional procession of the Moors and Christians, my favourite procession of all! It celebrates the driving out of the Moors way back in the 13th Century and the celebrations have been going on ever since! It's very dramatic with bags of atmosphere and very loud band music and even louder drums...and the costumes are absolutely stunning! Unfortunately, my phone decided to give up on me as I was taking the photos (a screen problem, apparently common in that kind of phone so they tell me now!) but luckily my daughter arrived in the nick of time and I was able to use hers. The weather there was extremely hot (low 40's centigrade) and we were all melting rather whilst watching this procession. Fortunately, I had my trusty fan with me, which I might add, when in Spain I don't go anywhere without! At the bottom of these pics I have put a link to a short BBC documentary video about the Spanish tradition of the festival of the Moors and Christian. The celebrations in the video are in a town called Alcoi which is not far from our town of Castello de Rugat. So if you're interested, I would recommend that you click on the link and have a look. 

















2 comments:

  1. That holiday was great fun:especially the Moors and Christian.Thanks for a great holiday.Chloe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That holiday was great fun:especially the Moors and Christian.Thanks for a great holiday.Chloe.

    ReplyDelete