Monday 23 July 2012

Pathway Through Newball Woods

6" x 6"
oil on board

Yesterday I took my new transportable easel and went out on location. It's a very long time since I worked in the great outdoors and I'd forgotten how organised you have to be! I arrived at the woods whilst it was overcast and set up my easel out in the open...big mistake! The sun came out, which was wonderful at first but I'd positioned myself in the full sun and it was becoming increasingly hotter and brighter by the minute! I had no sun hat and no umbrella to give any shade (they went straight on my list of things to take next time!) By this point I was in the middle of this little oil sketch above and decided that I'd started so I'd finish despite feeling I might melt away at any minute!  Eventually I decided that enough was enough and it was time to pack up. I did a little more work on the painting back in the studio just to pull it together and then left it alone. 
I'm at the moment planning my next excursion but will definitely be better prepared next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment