Friday 19 October 2012

Homemade plum jam!


'Plum Jam'
6" x 6"
oil on board

This gorgeous plum jam was a gift from a neighbour...yes, another gift! I know, I'm very lucky to have such kind neighbours who provide me with lovely things to eat AND subject matter to paint! I don't think I've mentioned this before but at the moment (the last four paintings) I'm using a much reduced palette of Cadmium red, cadmium yellow, ultramarine blue and titanium white and I'm surprised at how little I have to compromise on colour. Before I begin a painting I mix a lump of bistre (very dark grey). This is useful as a base for greys (particularly useful for flesh colours) as it can be adjusted easily towards warm or cool grey. It can also be added to a mix to mute or darken the colour. I would recommend exploring a very limited palette as you are forced to push the pigments to their limit, so you learn alot and quickly.
Just to change the subject... I would like to thank the ladies in my class today for working so hard with the project I set. We were working with tonal values matching colour to tone and they were sticking, cutting out, collaging...there were some very successful results so well done to all!




No comments:

Post a Comment